Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ re-ordering the quoted text, anticipating your reply to my post ]
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 04:35:43PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > The goal is not (necessarily to) filter the messages that we want to
> > see or not, the goal is to give feedback to contributors so that
> > they know if their messages were in line or not with what people
> > expect on the list.  The hope is that contributors will try to avoid
> > doing the same mistake once that many people pointed it out
> > explicitely.
>
> Well, I think both are reasonable goals, aren't they?

Yup.

> > - having such a mechanism not only helps posters to be aware that their
> >   messages are causing troubles, it also helps newcomers to better
> >   identify the problematic contributors and they might avoid starting an
> >   argument with them.
>
> MMMMmmmmm, this is risky and an important point: do we want the
> information to be publicly available or not? The initial proposal

The initial mail said that clearly at least: “which simply collects the data
and makes it publicly available in some way”

> seemed to be more oriented to scoring single posts, while here you are
> kind of inheriting a score on the poster from his posts. They are two
> quite different approaches.

They are different but if the data is available, it's also relatively easy
to imagine ways to do that.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog