Re: RFC: General resolution: Clarify the status of the social contract

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 01:38:33PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> ,----[ The Social contract is a binding contract ]
> | The developers, via a general resolution, determine that the social
> | contract should apply to everything Debian does, now and in the future;
> | _AND_ the social contract should stop us from including anything that
> | doesn't comply with the DFSG in main
> `----

"main" is just the name of an archive section.  The SC says that "Debian"
is 100% free, so I think we should go with that instead, regardless of how
DAK calls it.

> ,----[ The social contract is binding, but currently flawed ]
> |  This amends the proposal above, and replaces the text of the proposal with:
> |  The developers, via a general resolution, determine that the social
> |  contract should apply to everything Debian does, now and in the future;
> |  _AND_ it is and was a mistake to have the DFSG  cover firmware because
> |  we have not yet been able to limit Debian to  only DFSG-free firmware
> |  in a suitable way. This mistake should be corrected by amending the
> |  social contract.
> `----

Would probably be a good idea to define firmware here.  Besides, isn't there
an option in the gr_lenny vote that is basicaly equivalent to this?

> ,----[ The social contract is binding but may be overridden by a simple GR ]
> |  This amends the proposal above, and replaces the text of the proposal
> |  with: The developers, via a general resolution, determine that the
> |  social contract should apply to /almost/ everything Debian does, now
> |  and in the future; _AND_ for the few cases where it should not apply
> |  now, there should be an explicit GR affirming that variation (by simple
> |  majority)
> `----

I don't like the "workaround" approach to supermajority requirements.  If
we don't want 3:1, why don't we ammend the Constitution instead?

> ,----[ The social contract is a goal, not a binding contract ]
> |  This amends the proposal above, and replaces the text of the proposal
> |  with: The developers, via a general resolution, determine that the
> |  social contract is an aspirational document: while we aim to achieve as
> |  much of it as feasible at all times, we don't expect to get it
> |  completely right for some time yet. This includes DFSG-freeness of all
> |  firmware
> `----

Doesn't that contradict the definition of "contract" ?  Maybe a rename would
be in order.

> ,----[ The social contract is a non-binding advisory document ]
> |  This amends the proposal above, and replaces the text of the proposal
> |  with: The developers, via a general resolution, determine that the
> |  social contract is a statement of principle only, and has no particular
> |  force on the day to day operations of Debian, except in so far as it
> |  influences individual contributors' actions.
> `----

How does this differ from the previous one in practice?

--
Robert Millan