Re: [OT] Free software for social networks.

----- "Charles Plessy" <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

> The core of the problem is obviously that there is no easy platform to  build
> interoperable social networks with free software. And it is a pity because
> there is a real demand. In two of the professional associations where I am
> member, there was interest to pay people to build software to manage the social
> network of the members, but the projects never started, partly for management
> reasons, but also because the current proprietary platforms are so strong and
> the free alternatives – be them building blocks – are so weak (or well hidden).
> Developers in France or Japan (or people who can issue proper bills to
> associations having bank accounts in these countries) can contact me in private
> if they have suggestions and interest to try to revive the project (expect a
> low probability of success, we lost the momentum to get public money).

Nah. Its not true! Redhat has MugShot. There is ShinDig from Apache. I've been doing some work to hook ShinDig into OFBiz, which has its "party management" tools that are quite a bit more sophisticated than the consumer social network models.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315