Re: Member distributions and popularity

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:25:38PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > This is how the Eclipse project works with their derivatives. Maybe
> > we can borrow some ideas from them?
> >
> > http://www.eclipse.org/membership/special_programs/member-downloads-program.php
>
> I think you missed this part:
>
> | * Be an Eclipse member company
>
> This costs at least USD 5,000 per year.  I don't think this is
> suitable for Debian.

When Ean suggested borrowing ideas from Eclipse, I don't think he meant
charge people to be Debian derivatives (or did you interpret it some
other way?)

OTOH, I'm not sure what he suggested.  I think we already do quite a
good job of working without derivitives.  But much of how we work with
them depends on how they choose to work with us.  If somebody chooses to
simply grab our distro, make some changes, and call it their own, we
can't stop them.  We can, and do, encourage them to work with us.  I'm
not sure what else we should do.

noah