Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Sun, Nov 16 2008, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         I think we can be reasonably sure that the current spate of
>>  discussions is about releasing Lenny. For this action, any of the
>>  ballot options will have a distinct decision; and the ballot should
>>  have _all_ the possible courses of action for that decision.
>
> If the current vote is going to be interpreted that way then any option
> that _modifies_ foundation documents is not relevant and does not add to
> the GR. The same goes for options that _structurally_ allow the RT to
> allow violations.
>
> Those are clearly long-term decisions, which apparently you feel should be
> decided separately.

        No, I don't really feel quite that way. Yes, some of the options
 on this ballot have long term impact, but they are also equally capable
 of solving our "What to do about Lenny" problems. Since they all solve
 the Lenny issue, they are relevant, and related, solutions  for the
 issue.

        I do not think throwing options out because they are not of a
 narrow and limited scope is right. The proposer and sponsors can
 withdraw them, if they think the scope is too broad for the problem at
 hand. No one else should be removing them from consideration as a
 solution to the Lenny issue.

        manoj
--
Tcl tends to get ported to weird places like routers. Larry Wall in
<199710071721.KAA19014@wall.org>