Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Sat,25.Oct.08, 21:56:09, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>         If you are not voting or uploading packages, everythign else you
> >>  do can be done without a maintainers hat on, so you do not need to be
> >>  a DD.
> >
> > Does this mean you oppose to the concept of having non-packagers being
> > members of the Debian Project?
>
>         I do not think you are reading what I wrote.

Actually I did, but it seems you didn't understand what I meant and
since you were not alone I'll try to explain.

>         Secondly, What exactly to these members of the project do, if
>  they do not vote or upload packages? How are those activities any
>  different from what non-members do?

I was talking about Debian Members as persons with a right to vote, but
not necessarily packagers. Another alternative to automatic mail/voting
as a way of checking if these people are still active would be to have a
personalized MIA timer. For a packager the best way would be to reset
the timer based on the last upload, but for a translator maybe his last
mail with a translation should count. I hope I explained it better this
time.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)