Re: transfering files between *.debian.org hosts (was: people.debian.org to move to ravel)

[Trimming lists]

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 02:32:08PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > - install sendfile/saft on all machines so you can do
> >     sendfile foo.tar.gz weasel@merkel
> >
> >   The crypto stuff could be alleviated by using ipsec between all our
> >   servers.  But that works even less well than you'd expect.
>
> The machines needs to check DNSSEC or the names can be spoofed which
> makes ipsec mood.

Or you use only resolvers that you have a trusted (i.e. ipsec)
connection to and those need to have a complete axfr'ed zone.

As hinted in the original email, I don't think ipsec (or stunnel) are
useful solutions to help us make sendfile suck less.

> > - setup afs
> >
> >   pros: + AFS is cool
>
> Yeah. You can make read-only snapshots for backup purposes.

Probably not useful for a transfer share.  But if it ever grows beyond
that that might be useful.

> >         - AFS suffers from the not-a-filesystem syndrome: file access
> >           control is not unix-like and will confuse users.
>
> Also other parts are not really POSIX-like. Hardlinks or so.

Direct consequence of its permission model I'd assume.

> > What other options did we forget?
>
> - Setup Kerberos, allow it as an additional ssh login variant

Circumvents the entire idea behind this exercise:  Assuming an attacker
already has control over one host we want to make it as hard as possible
for them to jump to other hosts.