Becoming a new contributor

Hello,

I have never done any development in Debian before, and I would like to contribute a single program. How should I go about this?

I have already looked through the Debian website and found things like these:

"The first important point to make is that you do not need to be an official Debian developer in order to help improving Debian. In fact, you should already have a track record of earlier contributions to Debian before you apply for the New Maintainer process."

"As a non-developer you can:
- maintain packages through a sponsor"

Great. How?

Thanks,