Re: DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads (final call for review)

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 04:28:36PM +0200, Luipher Fhang wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I think it is reasonable to first fix the bug (no gender neutrality)
>
> When you use http://code.google.com/ in combination with obscene language
> you find a lot of code comments that found their way into debian packages.
>
> How about child protection laws while you think about making a few women
> more happy?

How many children do you think are mature enough to download source
code, yet immature enough[1] not to survive colourful language?

As for the examples, why not change it to use only she/her
everywhere?  It would definitely separate us from other distributions,
and it's no more arbitrary than using he/him.

[1] OK, to be fair it's not really a question of immaturity, rather a
question of being raised by overly protective parents, probably at the
same time reading them stories from a book that contains stories about
incest, genocide, torture, and various other things far worse than any
possible mentions of words that the children no doubt will hear on TV,
on the street or in school 10 times a day...

Regards, David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //