Re: Deprecating (and deactivation) of an archive feature?!

* Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de> [080806 20:48]:
> currently our archive has the feature(?) that a source package in component a
> (like main) can build a binary package in component b (like contrib).[1]
>
> Now, this feature is blocking (or making it way harder) to do some
> database re-designs we want to do for the central archive database, so
> we looked if there are real users of it. Well, yes, there are (damnit :) ):
> [...]
> Now, the idea would be to deprecate this feature, used by 8 packages in
> unstable, dropping complications in the database backend and the pool
> layout which we would want to avoid.
> [...]
> But before we take a final decision I want to hear more input on it. So
> here are your 5 seconds, please give input. :)

I'm all in favour of this. From my experience in reprepro this special
case makes everything much more complicated[1]. And having a binary and
it's source in different directories really streches the meaning of
"accompany" noticeably.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link

[1] Though I fear there support for this "feature" is doomed to stay,
as Debian switching to a more sane policy does not mean everything creating
debian package repositories will do so.