Re: confusion about non-free (Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:36:17 +0200
Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> Therefore Lenny is not Debian, but a superset of it?
>
> This is troubling.  Do you have any suggestions on how to address this?

I have never understood this to be the case.  Our codenames refer to
Debian releases.  Both non-free and contrib are not in Debian and are
not part of the release.  What I've always understood is that the
reason contrib and non-free are labelled 'lenny' is because they are
supposed to work with that release.  I can't see that there's
anything troubling about this at all.  In fact, I always thought this
was self-evident.  Is there really something to be worried over here?

Ben