Re: DEP1: how to do an NMU

Le Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:07:45AM +0200, Bas Wijnen a écrit :

> While I agree with this principle, I have one comment: IMO posting a
> patch (with explanation of what it fixes and why, and that an NMU to
> DELAYED has been uploaded) to the BTS is an appropriate way to notify
> the maintainer.  There is no need to expect the upload to actually be
> ACCEPTED.  In normal cases, either the maintainer uploads the fix (or a
> different one) him/herself, or the NMU does reach unstable.  In the
> slightly exceptional case, the NMUer is asked to remove it from the
> queue.  Note that this should mostly happen if the maintainer failed to
> document in the BTS why the bug is still open.
>
> I find this important for fixing mass-filed-bugs.  They're all similar,
> the solutions probably are as well, and it would be too much (IMO)
> overhead to have to check who is maintaining the package.

Hi,

A radically different approach would be to provide a timeline for the
resolution of the mass-filed bugs. This would help teams to prioritise
their works. Otherwise, we end up in situations where both ends have a
different idea of what "waiting too long" mean, which leads to
miscommunication.

We have to balance the overhead of checking who is maintaining the
package with the overhead of informing the bug reporter that #asdfg is
scheduled to be solved before #zxcvb, and that both are scheduled to be
solved before the freeze.

Patches, or even commits in our SVN (to be opened soon for write access
to all DDs), are of course most welcome. I repeat: the time that the
NMUer saves by not consulting the maintainer when NMUing a two-line
patch is the time the maintainer loses to restore the correspondance of
his SVN with the package archive. If NMUs are to help then please do not
do this. Provide us with a timeline saying when your work is impaired by
lack of progress on our side.

So far I lost only 5 minutes with that kind of NMU, but some parts of
the discussion in this DEP really make me wonder if it will not be much
more in the future.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy