Re: DEP1: how to do an NMU

Le Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:20:55PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> Unless you have an excellent reason not to do so, you must then give some
> time to the maintainer to react

Hi Lucas,

excellence is definitely what we should aim for :)

Thank you for your efforts. Here are my last comments on the DEP:

5.11.1 When and how to do an NMU

I propose to add "NMUs are usually not appropriate for team-maintained
packages. Consider sending a patch to the BTS instead." to the bullet
list.

5.11.1.2 Using the DELAYED/ queue

I propose to ask a paragraph saying:

"If you do not make your NMU to DELAYED/, you must document your reasons
in the BTS."

I and others had NMUs on non-RC bugs on team-maintained packages while
being active and we are still left to wonder what in our packaging
practice was so wrong that it had to be fixed in emergency. Having the
reason written in the BTS would help us to improve ourselves.

5.11.2 NMUs, from the maintainer's point of view

The last two sentences, "Make sure to include the NMU's changelog entry (not
just the line describing the changes) in your own changelog. This is
important to allow the ¥BTS version tracking to work.", are misleading
on how the BTS work, as they suggest that the version tracking depends
on the changelog. Maybe they could be changed to:

"Make sure to include the NMU's changelog entry (not
just the line describing the changes) in your own changelog if you want
to take advantage of the automatic BTS version tracking."

I think that both sides made enough efforts, so please do not take this
mail as a list of requirements, alhtough of course I would prefer my
points being taken into account.

I am moving into a place where internet is not yet set up, so do not
expect timely answers. Please go ahead :)

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org