Re: DEP1: who should be allowed to do QA uploads ?

On 25/05/08 at 15:35 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:50:45AM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> >
> >>  * QA upload.
> >>
> >> If you want to do an NMU, and it seems that the maintainer is not
> >> active, it is wise to check if the package is orphaned. When doing the
> >> first QA upload to an orphaned package, the maintainer should be set to
> >> Debian QA Group < packages@qa.debian.org >. Orphaned packages which did
> >> not have a QA upload yet still have their old maintainer set. There is a
> >> list of them at http://qa.debian.org/orphaned.html.
> >
> > Just a thought:
> >
> > IMHO it would make sense to allow teams other than QA to do QA uploads
> > for orphaned packages. Teams focused on a particular toolset (OCaml, perl,
> > TeX, kde, gnome, ...) may be better motivated to keep up a minimal
> > quality standard for packages using that toolset, and they may be better
> > skilled to do this.
>
> Either it's adopted or it's not IMHO. Long time orphaned packages are
> not worth shipping and should be removed altogether IMHO. If no one
> wants to take care of maintaining it, the package is either not
> important or should get a replacement that someone thinks is worth
> maintaining...
>
> > Sure, every dd can do a QA upload, the advantage of having another team
> > being listed as maintainer would be that this team would receive all the
> > bug reports. The team might choose not to adopt the package in order to
> > make clear that the package is still orphaned.
>
> A team could adopt the package and request for an adopter (RFA). The
> difference is that the package would be maintained in the mean time...

(With my DEP driver hat on,) I agree with Luk. Let's not make
this process more complex than necessary. The only questions to ask when
considering an adoption are:
- Is this package useful? Shouldn't it be removed instead?
- Will I take better care of the package, than if nobody cares about it
  at all?