Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 05:12:23PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> As Lars said, if the NMU fix is minimal then it should be trivial to
> just apply it directly to the VCS version (apart from the changelog
> there should be a reasonable chance of patch being able to cope by
> itself).

When you base anything on an unreleased version, you have a lot more
potential to introduce issues.  If you fix the current package with an
NMU, you have a known set of issues to deal with.

So, unless you *REALLY* know what you're doing, I'd say it is damn best
to stay the hell alway from anything in the VCS that has not been
uploaded yet in an NMU.

> It's also important to consider why the changes that are in the VCS have
> not been uploaded to the archive - it may be that it's simply a case of
> nobody having got round to it yet but it could also be due to there
> being some issues which need to be resolved.

Exactly.  So, just don't do it as a *rule*, and leave the "upload from
VCS" as the exception.

  Henrique Holschuh