Reasons for teams breakage (Re: infrastructure team rules)

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 04:30:42PM -0400, Philippe Cloutier wrote:
> >Judging by history, I don't think our current approach is exactly
> >flourishing. We've mentioned sysadmins, list admins, web admins, all of
> >those had breakages. We haven't mentioned bug admins, ftp admins, docs
> >admins, key admins, account admins, but all of them had fairly major
> >issues too. It's hard for me to recall any other major infrastructure
> >team in Debian where I can point and say that they have always functioned
> >fine, i.e. they only had technical issues (rather than manpower issues).
> Many teams lack manpower, but there are several reasons for that. Often, > it's a real lack of manpower. In some cases, it can be that the team is > unable to accept help offers, but I suppose this is a minority of cases. > > I share Lucas's concern that the number of teams in the second case may > not be worth a GR. I recommend to start by finding at least two teams in > this case and trying investigate what happened to these teams.

I was a bit dazzled by what I read there, but then I went to check whether
you had the opportunity to see the history I'm talking about. It appears
that you aren't a DD, and a cursory Google search doesn't show activity
from over three years ago. It would probably make a difference if you were
able to see things from my point of view.
It would make a difference for my vote, but I don't plan to vote anyway.

You may be right that there are/were several teams unable to accept help and therefore right about the resolution being helpful, but the resolution can only try to help with severely broken teams. It's IMO much more important to explain why teams can break this way. You may know that, but I and likely others don't. Perhaps explaining which teams broke requires to disclose information, but it should be possible to tell the reasons without details, say 2 teams broke because they were controlled by the Debian cabal (everyone already knows it exists anyway), 2 because all members disappeared at the same time, 1 was under the space cabal's control, etc. More specifically, 1 team was coming back from a meeting when the car crashed, and the project wasn't notified before 1 year.