Re: Micros*ft deal

On to, 2007-06-21 at 15:25 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The patent deals between Microsoft and Linux vendors that have been
> announced so far deal with issues that do not seem particularly
> relevant for the Debian project (except for the promise not to sue
> some people).

Hey, that's an excellent idea! I'm all in favor of making a deal with
Microsoft where we promise that we won't sue them for patent
infringement, and they give us, say, one billion dollars, to use as we
wish.

Just think about it: by investing $1G in suitable ways we should be able
to get around 7% net interest, or about 70 million per year. Divide that
by the 1000 full DDs, we get about 70 thousand dollars per year. In
other words, excluding the most expensive places like Silicon Valley,
easily enough to hire 1000 full time developers.

That's 1000 full time developers working on developing Debian. If each
fixes just one RC bug per month, that's 12000 RC bugs per year. We'd
have to start packaging everything on SourceForge to keep up with the
demand for RC bugs.

> If Microsoft promises not to sue us,

On the other hand, there's something fishy in a deal where Microsoft
pays us millions for the priviledge to not sue us.

--
You need fewer comments, if you choose your names carefully.