Re: A bit of history

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:35:25AM +0300, Linas ??virblis wrote:
> I would define it like this:
>
> 1. Started using - the moment one installed his/her first Debian system.
> 2. Joined community - first post to the mailing list; most probably
>    asking for advice or providing advice to somebody else.
> 3. Got involved - submitted first bug report, or provided additional
>    information for existing bug report, submitted a patch.
> 3. Became a contributor/maintainer - packaged software, joined a team,
>    signed up as NM.
> 4. Officially joined - passed NM.

That sounds reasonable for these days.  It doesn't quite map to my
experience.  Which was, I seem to recall, sending an email with my key
and waiting for someone to add it to the keyring and set up my account
on master.  Which evidentally could happen at very different times.
ISTR that Bruce was on vacation when I joined, so I had to upload via
chiark for awhile.

I would probably say that someone officially becomes a DD when they're
added to the keyring.  I observe that we still have some real old-timers
in LDAP that may have joined before there was a keyring (Ian Murdock,
for instance).  I don't think any of them are active anymore, though.

-- John