Re: Two GR concepts for dicussion

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 02:22:58PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Anthony Towns writes ("Two GR concepts for dicussion"):
> > I think the process should involve:
> > [...]
> This sounds like a good idea to me.

> One thing that would be really helpful would be an ability for a
> Maintainer of this kind to make updates without review iff it can be
> shown to be safe.  (Where `safe' means `the Maintainer gets to screw
> over people who run this program, but not anyone who doesn't.)

I think if we have multiple developers recommending them they ought to
be beyond the stage of fucking things up to the degree that this level
of inspection of what they are uploading is necessary.

> I'm not sure exactly what the criteria would be but basically you'd
> diff the previous and new packages and allow only certain kinds of
> changes (eg, changes to existing programs in /usr/bin would be fine).

In what ways can maintainers of packages generally screw over users of
other packages?  Don't people notice fairly soon and certainly before
the packages are out of unstable?

I imagine this is easier with library packages with many dependent
packages but I can't imagine those would often be maintained by DMs.

As long as there is an easy way to remove keys from the DM keyring I'm
not convinced this is a real problem.  If you want reviews of every
package from a DM then we should just leave things as they are and force
packages to be sponsored in.

The ideas behind the DM keyring, as I see them, are to capture new
blood, to let people contribute in a more meaningful way and to stop
people getting so frustrated by the NM process by giving them a little
bit more responsibility and trust earlier on.  I think complicating it
further goes against that and makes it much less interesting.

Simon.

--
Just another wannabie |   <sl> benj: mais il y a des   |  Just another fool