ballot period for ECMA 376 / DIS 29500 (aka OOXML)

Hi,

I want to remind you that the ballot period about Microsoft/ECMA
office document format  runs until the beginning of September and
national ISO bodies have to vote about the fasttrack process.
Microsoft is very active in this process, free software people are not
as far as I know, e.g. I did not get a response from the Free Software
Foundation Europe. The risk of a successful standardization of OOXML
is the marginalization of ODF (ISO 26300) which would make migrations
from non-free software to free software more difficult in the long
run.

If you are interested in preventing that scenario please take action
*now*. Contact your national ISO bodies and tell them your interests.
In Germany you can become a member of DIN's working group. I can
explain the details if someone is interested. Maybe that is possible
in other countries, too.

A good starting point for more information is
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070123071154671 .

Cheers,
Torsten

--