Re: Debian 4.0 finally arrives... does anyone care?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:19:03AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Yo!
>
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5673962628.html
>
> Merely somebody who likes Fedora and (Open)SuSE better than Debian, or
> somebody who has a realistic view of the world?  While I'm personally happy
> to use etch, I might be a bit biased...
>
> (There are many news items more or less just quoting the release
> announcement, there are some that are very positive, but I think where we
> learn is how people *don't* like the release, that's why I'm posting this
> here.  Note that this is not an attack against the kernel or X people, I
> know they did a huge job.)

Wow. The last thing I expected to see when I wrote that comment was that my
name would show up in an article somewhere. What I was actually going for
was to get our actual users excited about what we're doing, not provide
troll-fodder. I'm no fan of Vaughn-Nichols, and generally consider him a
total hack. The most notable evidence for this is that our X install stuff
is almomst identical to Ubuntu's and yet he falls all over himself to talk
about how great Ubuntu is, but then denigrates us for the exact same X
setup. Way to do your research.

"The Father Of Ubuntu", but I do know that we won't be able to avoid these
types of articles if we can't figure it out and make it happen.

Anyway, I think we've done a lot of great work for etch, and we can do more
for lenny. I know I've got my plans for the X stuff, and from the TeX and
Postgres announcements on -devel-announce, it's clear that others also have
big plans. None of the stuff I've got in mind will resolve this problem,
but I'm open to suggestions.

 - David Nusinow