Re: ideas....

Hi John,

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 20:43 +0100, John Watson wrote:
> 1) I just find that releases are being delayed due to the obsession
> with security.

I prefer the Debian project to continue to focus on quality and security
to keep this wonderful volunteer-run GNU/Linux distribution suitable for
business use.

> If Microsoft was Debian then Microsoft would only be releasing Windows
> XP now, understanding security and reliability is important however
> there needs to be a cut off point.

Closed-source software can hide insecure parts.

> I would suggest having two releases of Debian, one "really stable"
> which could be released every 2 years, another one "stable" released
> every 6 months

That is more or less what already happens.
http://www.debian.org/News/2007/20070218

If you feel that some software should be updated in Debian stable, then
you are welcome to report a wishlist bug in the BTS pointing to this:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-upload-stable

If someone just wants something newer made available for Debian stable,
then he/she can use and contribute to the Backports project.
http://www.backports.org/

> by taking a freeze of the current "testing" distro and spending a
> month (no more) fixing any major bugs.

You're very welcome to help fixing bugs to reduce the freeze period to
just one month. :)

>  I personally believe the "testing" version is as stable as many of
> the other distros in the market. I normally use the testing version

There is a reason why Debian is better than "the other distros in the
market". :)

>  however when it comes to a release of the stable version, updates on
> testing are few with a increase temptation to switch to a different
> distro.

I agree with you that some packages are not updated to the newest
upstream releases for too long, so you are welcome to notify the
packagers by reporting wishlist bugs in the BTS and/or report inactive
maintainers to the "MIA"-team.

> So those are the ideas, now flame me.

No flame please. :)

I have not commented in detail on your ideas about how to use money in
the project, because I'm just a volunteer interested in showing off how
smart I am :) and unfortunately also revealing how much I still can
learn.  Note that the Debian project is very volunteer-driven, and money
is a sensitive subject.  For now I prefer to stay out of flamewars about
money in Debian, and focus on the interesting parts: the software.

Regards,

Bart Martens