release update: security problems force "etch" delay of 4-6 weeks

Hi,

We want to start off this mail by thanking everyone who has put
effort into fixing our outstanding release-critical bugs, the
maintainers who have respected the freeze upload policy, and
everyone else who contributed to Debian "etch" so far.

That was the good news. Unfortunately, there is also the bad side:
due to several grave security problems in some of the core packages,
we cannot release "etch" as originally planned[0] on 2 Apr 2007. By
rough calculation, we are looking at another 4-6 weeks of work to
get our archive into a releasable state.

*** Note that Debian "sarge" is *not* affected by any of this. ***

Due to the critical nature of the problems found, we deem it
appropriate to choose the path of responsible disclosure and thus
cannot give further details at this moment. Please stay tuned for
updates in the next few days.

We will continue to stay in deep freeze meaning that you must
continue to observe the upload policies. You are most welcome to use
the extra time to flesh out and make some love to the release notes.

We are sorry for any inconvenience, but we can assure you that you
are not the only one screwed on this lovely April Sunday morning.

Your release team.

0. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/03/msg00012.html