Re: Google SoC - Bug Triaging and Forwarding Tool

Em Qua, 2007-03-28 às 04:59 +1000, Anthony Towns escreveu:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:12:40AM -0300, Gustavo R. Montesino wrote:

[...]

> > * Change the bug tags (generate and send a control mail with the
> >   choices made by the user)
> > * Search the upstream BTS for similar bugs [...]
>
> Philip Kern worked on this for last year's SoC, but I'm not sure if the
> code actually ended up working and I can't remember where it was now. :-/
> The best I can find is some mock-up screenshots at:

I've found some svn urls at wiki.d.o, their development seems to have
stoped, more likely on the end of SoC 2006... There is also a
experimental Debian package, gnome-reportbug. Anyway, I will take a look
on the code later.

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/soc/reportbug-gnome2/trunk/?rev=0&sc=0
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/soc/bts-frontend/branches/first-steps/?rev=0&sc=0

> Personally, I find triaging mostly involves grouping rather than followup
> -- ie, the process is look at all the bugs, group related ones together
> into a bloc (by what area of the code they impact, how important they
> are, whether there's anything that can be done about them yet, etc),
> and then choose a group and do detailed followup/resolution on those bugs.
>
> Would it make sense to focus on the tagging aspect (either with the
> standard tags or usertags) so that your program just makes it really
> easy to set tags so maintainers can get a good idea of the state of
> their package (and share that idea through the use of tags),

I intend to allow easy tagging and complex queries, so I believe it will
meet what you want.

> and fire off reportbug or a web browser for following up or reading bug logs?

Using a browser (or MUA) to read the bug logs is ok, but I believe that
forwarding is worth some work, as it can be made a lot more friendly and
less time-consuming than the manual way.

Regards,
Gustavo R. Montesino