Re: notable Debian contributions in 2006

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> > Note that the license change was definitely not the reason for the fork (the
> > fork would have been done in a different way if the license change was the
> > reason).
>
> And again wrong, your license change *IS* the reason, we simply do not
> accept incompatible licenses. No matter how much you love it.

Repeating your wrong claims does not make them true....

While there are some cases, where the GPL is incompatible with other licenses
(e.g. LGPL and CDDL), there are many cases where the GPL allows a combination of
code.

Well known cases are e.g. when the GPL code is a derived work of _other_ code
or when there is a "mere aggregation" of code from different "work"s.
As this is true for what is done inside cdrtools, cdrtools of course have no
license problem.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)