Re: how to donate free program for Debian?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:21:12 -0800, Kevin B McCarty
<kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> said:

> Cognaxon <info@cognaxon.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we would like to donate our free small program called "WSQ viewer"
>> (for Linux) to be distributed with Debian CD/DVD.  The short
>> description of the program is here
>> http://www.cognaxon.com/index.php?page=wsqview_forlinux> The
>> http://www.cognaxon.com/index.php?page=wsqview_forlinux> program is
>> http://www.cognaxon.com/index.php?page=wsqview_forlinux> only 0.5
>> http://www.cognaxon.com/index.php?page=wsqview_forlinux> Megabyte
>> http://www.cognaxon.com/index.php?page=wsqview_forlinux> in size.
>>
>> How can we donate our program for Debian?

> In addition to the question of possible license non-freeness raised
> by others, I have some impression that wavelets are a patent
> minefield.  If this software was distributed by Debian, would we be
> subject to possible patent enforcement issues?  As a volunteer Free
> Software project we have neither the money nor the desire to license
> patents.

        This seems to fly in the face of the actual policy Debian has
 with regards to patents. Additionally, your tone and constructs
 ("*we* have neither the desire...") imply that you are speaking on
 behalf of the project -- which, as a non-developer, it is unlikely
 that you can.

        As far as I am aware, the position of the Debian project wrt
 to patents has been to ignore the possibility, until and unless
 challenged by the patent holder. There is certainly no problem in
 releasing the program under a free license.  While I can't speak for
 the FTP masters, vague fears that something _might_ violate some
 unidentified patent somewhere is not something that has been used to
 keep packages out of Debian.

        manoj
--
Ever wonder if taxation without representation might have been cheaper?