Re: Social Committee proposal

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Josip Rodin wrote:

If given a choice to pick exactly 1 person for the most honorable position -
all of us will prefer the highly technically skilled person.

All with exception of at least one (me): I would try to pick
the person that promisses to fullfill the most honorable
position.  I would not regard the technical skills highest
if the position does not primarily needs technical skills.

This will never change, nor should it!

I was not really aware that this is the case.

But, if given a choice to pick 16 people for a position like this,
we won't necessarily find 16 highly technically skilled people,
nor will we necessarilly all agree on the exact set of them.

So we might end up with many technically skilled people in the soc-ctte, but
also some socially skilled people.

Well, this sounds black and white:  We need socially skilled
people.  The fact that they are socially skilled does not
necessary exclude that they are technically perfect.  I guess
you rather mean we need to include also people that are in
technical positions that are cruxial for Debian to keep the
contact between the soc-ctte and technical core groups as close
as possible.

The selection of people should also happen to reflect the kind of people the
developer body is composed of.

Problem: I've got the impression that Debian is a herd of
people showing very individual strengthes and that it is
hard to find or even to identify the "kind of people in
Debian".  (BTW, this is one thing I really like at DebConf
meetings to be amongst very interesting people you will not
meet in every day life in this concentration.)

In our elections, similar to the elections for the SPI board, we would not
be electing any parties, but exact people with exact names and platforms and
all. That is inherently better.

Probably.

Kind regards

        Andreas.