Re: Social Committee proposal

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:49:56 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net>
said:

> Thinking about it, we can easily strike that out.

> Or replace it with something more lenient, such as random proposals
> by soc-ctte members themselves being limited to advisory decisions,
> rather than prescribing and overruling decisions.

> Thoughts? (Manoj also?)

        I think that a member of the council should also have all the
 rights and abilities of a non-member DD; so if any DD  can bring a
 resolution before the council, so can a council member, acting with
 their DD hat on.

        What you could do is set up a rule saying that any council
 members bringing  a resolution on the floor automatically recuse
 themselves from the internal council vote that follows, so any  feers
 of undue influence go away.

>> My view implies replacing the DPL by a DPL board, so it's better if
>> we change the rules before to elect a board instead of a single
>> individual.  :-)

> I don't think we can get both things done in time this year, unless
> we combine the ballot.

        Umm, can't do that, unless you wat to do a DPL board in
 *addition* to a DPL, since the constitution prescribes exactly
 how a DPL is elected.

> I really fear that a combined ballot might also mean that there is a
> conflation of issues. I don't want that to happen.

> But, in any case, even if we finalize the terms on the soc-ctte
> ammendment soon, a vote on that will end only after four weeks
> (minimum GR discussion period is two weeks, and another two weeks
> pass for voting period).

> The nomination period for the leader election 2007 should end around
> the 25th of February, so that is too soon.

        We are about a week away from start of nominations for the
 DPL, yes.

        manoj
--
"If you ever want to get anywhere in politics, my boy, you're going to
have to get a toehold in the public eye."