Re: source-codes complete downloadable ???

On Monday 17 December 2007, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> "Carl-Valentin Schmitt" <cv.schmitt@googlemail.com> writes:
> > can I download the sourcecodes of debian packages complete in a
> > bundle???
>
> No, you can't. A tarball containing all source packages available on
> ftp.debian.org would be about 40 GB big.

Yes, you can. For the "stable" release there are CD/DVD images [1] available
with all source packages.

For "testing" there are also CD images with source packages, but you need to
keep in mind that these are snapshots and thus of limited usability as a
lot of them will become outdated quite quickly.

Downloading source in bulk for unstable does not really make sense to me as
that would get outdated even quicker than testing.

Another option would of course be to set up a partial mirror with only
source packages, for example using the debmirror package.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] See the [source] links on:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/