Re: Updated Debian Maintainers Keyring

Le Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 06:49:24PM +0000, Steve McIntyre a écrit :

> Based on initial analysis of this package, please remove:
>
>  * the DM (Kartik Mistry) from the keyring (he clearly needs to learn
>    more before he should be allowed to upload directly)
>
>  * the upload rights of the sponsor (Ramakrishnan M
>    <rkrishnan@debian.org>) who uploaded this to incoming without any
>    suitable level of checking. This is a *much* more important problem
>    IMHO.

Hello all,

there is a famous saying: "The one who never does mistakes usually never
does anything".

How about removing the advocating rights of the person who advodated the
sponsor of the DM, the application managing rights of the person who did
not realise that he would some day sponsor a package that does not
respect the Policy, the ftp-mastering rights of the one who let the
package in the archive and the account managing rights of the one who
let this happen by making the sponsor a DD?

The point I want to make is that, unless the DM and the sponsor have
been informed of their mistake and showed bad will, it is prematurate
and demotivating to call their name for punishment on a pivotal mailing
list.

I think that what Debian can learn from this accident is that such a big
project can not rely on just a few persons to detect mistakes. A peer
review system could be an answer to this: for instance link to a debdiff
could be sent to, say 20 developpers, and the package allowed in the
archive when at least 2 of them send a positive (non-verbose) review,
and/or be the subject of extensive checks when a negative review with
explanaions is sent.

With a little analysis on the quantity of uploads per day and the number
of non-MIA DDs, the optimal number of reviewers could be deterimined
such that the work load and the delays are acceptable, and to keept a
low probability that somebody is called for review the same package too
often.

In conclusion, I would like to re-iterate the main message of this mail:
I think that calls for punishment should be dealt privately at first.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org