Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:28:00 +0300, Kalle Kivimaa <killer@debian.org> said:

> Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> writes:
>> + <li> If the election requires multiple winners, the list of winners
>>     is
>> + created by sorting the list of options by ascending strength.

> Why couldn't we just use some STV method for such elections? STV is a
> tried and proved method, no need for us to start inventing new
> methods.

        Most traditional STV methods suffer from free riding (in which
 strategic voting as in not voting for people who you want to vote for,
 but who will, in your opinion, win anyway) and vote management. There
 is a modified STV method, that also satisfies the condorcet method, and
 falls back to our current mechanism for a single winner.

	Our current method has been demonstrated to satisfy Pareto,
 monotonicity, resolvability, independence of clones, reversal symmetry,
 Smith-IIA, Schwartz, Woodall's plurality criterion, and Woodall's CDTT
 criterion, etc.

        I think we should consider the paper pointed out by Antti-Juhani
 Kaijanaho, found at  http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze2.pdf

        manoj
--
There are no saints, only unrecognized villains.