Re: Range Voting - the simpler better alternative to Condorcet voting

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 12:16:29PM +0100, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> Oops: what I said here:
>
> > there are no circumstances in which a rational (in the game
> > theoretic sense of that term) Range Voting voter will cast an
> > anti-veridical ballot.
>
> is not true when there are N>3 candidates.  There do exist
> circumstances etc.
>
> However, computer simulations seem to show that they are much less
> harmful (less likely, and when they occur less likely to result in a
> really poor candidate being elected) than analogous circumstances with
> Condorcet.

Look, this discussion is all fine and interesting, but I'm curious here:

a.) Can you give any example of any election we've had so far that has
resulted in an outcome not expected by the voters (that is based on
the cast votes, not based on predictions)

b.) Can you provide a rewritten devotee that makes use of range voting?
Free software communities generally work on a "Codes speaks louder than
words"-policy, so working code is the best first step towards adaption;
such a contribution would also be useful even if Debian sticks to
Condorcet.

Right now I'm getting the feeling you're just pushing a personal
agenda.  It might well be that there is substance behind your words, and
that range voting really is better than Condorcet, but Condorcet has the
advantage of already being in use for several years within the project,
and thus familiar to almost everyone in the project.

I cannot vouch for others, but I had no troubles whatsoever to
figure out how our current voting system worked the first time I voted,
so I find it hard to believe that Condorcet is too complicated for DD's.
After all we're comprised of a really big bunch of smart women and men.

So until you present more than just contrived worst-case scenarios which
would require our voter-base to a.) not have any understanding of how
Condorcet works, and b.) be totally clueless, I suggest you take
this discussion to debian-curiosa instead.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //