Re: Debian Maintainers oup

On Thursday 31 May 2007, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:37:53PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > First, the "Debian Maintainers" concept
> > [..]
> > I think the process should involve:
> > 	- automated application process
> This shouldn't be tricky.
> Some webpage where the applicant applies and then they point some
> developers at a page so that they can recommend/advocate him to be a DM.
> Very similar to nm.debian.org advocate bits.
> e.g. https://nm.debian.org/nmadvocate.php?email=hgjghj%40hotmail.com
> (which I presume is a fake application for NM but still)
> The applicant would provide their keyid, email, name etc.
> I think technically this is easy but we need to define who can advocate
> and how much contact with the potential DM is needed (see below).

Basically we currently have the following:

1) find sponsor
2) sponsor checks package and uploads
3) time passes
4) new upload of package goes back to 2

At some point the sponsor typically comes to trust the skills of the
sponsoree with that package enough that 2 is little more then a cursory

AIUI the DM proposal is nothing more then making that official by giving the
sponsoree upload rights for that package.

-> do we really need to make this more complicated than:

1) "sponsor officially declares this person can in his opion handle the
sponsored package"?
2) sponsoree gets upload rights for that package

Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)