Re: Software Currency and Expiration Dates

danielle.wysocki@scotiabank.com wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I was wondering if I could have infomation regarding the current versions
> and support expiration dates of the following software:

The current stable release of Debian is 4.0 ("Etch"), released on April
8, 2007.

The previous stable release of Debian is 3.1r ("Sarge"), initially
released on June 6th, 2005.

The rule is, that an initial released distribution is security supported
for about one year after the next stable distribution has been released,
except when another stable distribution is released within this year.

The next stable release of Debian ("Lenny") is planned to happen roughly
at the end of 2008. That means:

Given this plan above, Debian 4.0 is supported at minimum until end of
2009, and Debian 3.1 at minimum until April, 2008.

Thank you for your interest in Debian,
Daniel Baumann