Re: Developers vs Uploaders

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:47:12 +0100, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> The argument, if I can follow the htread, is about people who
>> review every line of code, like myself, for all new upstream, and
>> anything we sponsor, and whether such activity is desirable and
>> productive.

> Manoj, nobody will ever forbid you to do code-review. And we all
> agree that this is a good thing to do if the maintainer has the
> skills and the time.

> However, there are no standards to enforce here because not all
> maintainers are able to do that and it would be unreasonable to
> require all maintainers to review every new upstream version.

        Why does everyone think in terms of "enforcement" and forcing
 other people to do stuff? Where is this authoritarian mind-set coming
 from?

        My point was that more code reviews are desirable. People with
 more skills do better code reviews. People with less skills might be
 less effective, but they are exposed to more code, and might learn
 from the practice. I see no reason not to recommend people do code
 reviews anyway, given time on their hands.

> That's all, end of that thread please. We're not going to re-do the
> -private discussion on this very similar topic.

        Firstly, you are leaking -private. Secondly, again with the
 enforcing your beliefs on other people?  No one is forcing you to
 talk.  This is not a flame war. Yet.

        manoj
--
Weiler's Law: Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do
it himself.