Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 04:50:50PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Mark Brown wrote:

> > You are assuming that the person sending the e-mail is aware that
> > the information they are sending is going to end up publically
> > visible.

> So indicate that it'll be publicly archived, and that private
> information should be encrypted and sent out of band in the footers of
> the messages sent out.

That's got rather a lot of obvious failure modes...

> In any event, even that isn't really a reason to not allow Debian
> Developers to have access to the request tracker, although it may be a
> reason to restrict the general public.

Right, that's one approach that might work well enough for people.  My
point is that we shouldn't swing so far to openness that we end up
causing people nasty surprises or with something that needs to be
circumvented too often in normal operation.