Re: Bits from the DPL: DSA and buildds and DAM, oh my!

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 12:13:55PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 03:54:54PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > > If they don't do it, and it's important, someone else will. Cf the
> > > security team versus testing security support, backports or [...]
> > That's fine if "they" don't do it.  I think the problem is when
> > they're doing it and make a mistake which they won't fix: how can
> > anyone else fix it without some pretty ugly forking/competition?
>
> What's so wrong with forking and competition? Isn't that the whole point
> of free software -- that you can do things yourself rather than having
> to rely on someone else?

It is an enormous waste of time and manpower that would better be
invested in something useful. Forks are usually forced by
circumstances because the people behind the "Original" are not willing
to cooperate.

Debian being forced to fork something as important as ftpmaster[1]
would definetely show that Debian is an utter failure, and I am pretty
disappointed that you are seriously suggesting a fork of Debian's
infrastructure (which would actually be a fork of Debian proper)
instead of making Debian work. I mean, if anybody can prevent this
from happening, you are. At least in the position you are currently
holding.

And, I might add, you are doing a pretty good job. Unfortunately, not
as a DPL, but as campaign aide for the other candidates.

Greetings
Marc