Re: BREAKING NEWS: Debian developers aren't trusted

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:24:27AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 03:17:58PM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > FYI, I am running a wanna-build database for hurd-i386, kfreebsd-i386
> > and kfreebsd-amd64 on my home server, and running three build daemons,
> > two for kfreebsd-i386 (yes, contrary to some official architectures we
> > have buildd redundancy), and one for kfreebsd-amd64. And that for almost
> > 2 years.
> Aren't you running emulated buildds for m68k too? Or was that someone else?

No, that was Bill Allombert.

> _That_, imo, is awesome both for demonstrating emulated buildds work, and
> reviving m68k... Assuming I'm not confused.

Not really, in this case -- at least not without context. Bill is using
ARAnyM because he doesn't have actual hardware that could be used. In
his tests, however, an ARAnyM buildd is running slower than actual live
m68k hardware. Perhaps a different emulator could help (ARAnyM's main
goal is to emulate the Atari platform; that is a goal which is not
always compatible with "providing the fastest possible emulation"), but
such an emulator currently doesn't exist (and the ARAnyM developers are
more than happy to help in fixing bugs related to running Linux on

Bill's greatest achievement, however, is to prove beyond doubt that
doing distcc actually works. Since Debian gcc packages now also support
building crosscompilers, my most important personal objections to this
in the past (that the crosscompiler might be too divergent from the
actual compiler running on the port itself; that building a
crosscompiler could turn out to be impossible on crucial moments, such
as when the ABI changes incompatibily and all compilers *must* be
upgraded) is now also addressed.

Using distcc doesn't solve everything, however; it only speeds up
compilation of software written in languages that can be compiled using
gcc compilers. Packages that need to run large test suites, or that need
to do a lot of linking, or that first compile a small binary and then
use that binary to compile their other 5M of source code all still need
a lot of time to finish compiling, even with distcc.

It is, however, progress.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22