Re: how to donate free program for Debian?

    (Not speaking on behalf of the Debian project)

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007, Cognaxon wrote:

> we would like to donate our free small program called
> "WSQ viewer" (for Linux) to be distributed with Debian
> CD/DVD. The short description of the program is here
> http://www.cognaxon.com/index.php?page=wsqview_forlinux

   As other people already replied, the Debian project is attached to
freedoms such as free access to source code or permitted modification
and redistribution.

   It is hard to trust a binary-only piece of software. The fact that
you implement a specification from the FBI may reassure some, but scare
others. What may your binary do if I run it on my computer? Sandbox
testing reveals that WSQ viewer crashes if called with an argument other
than a valid filename (even "WSQviewer.bin -h" crashes). I also crashes
when opening corrupted files (http://zoy.org/~sam/wsqviewer-crash.wsq).

   The WSQ specification is not that complicated, I would expect a 20-
million lines of code project to be slightly more robust.

Regards,
--
Sam.