Re: Social Committee proposal

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 08:07:44AM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> I don't see a soc-ctte as a problem, if we define how such a committee
> will act to solve some of our problems though. We need some thing like
> committee use cases, not just an vague idea.

Well, the committee could issue advisory opinions on procedures of mailing
list members, packaging groups, infrastructure groups, user groups,
developers contacting users, etc. Anywhere where people interact socially.

I don't think it's really possible be any more specific than that - once we
get the first nominations for committee members, we'll see what people want
to do. In the nomination discussions we'll see how they do. After election,
we'll see what the elected subset of people does, and how they respond to
presented issues, and how they vote on them.

I suppose that could be too vague for some people. I don't think that's a
show-stopper, though.

> Unfortunately, i can see that some people here into this thread try to
> spread FUD just based on the idea. Those could get their volunteer asses
> and do something more useful and let us discuss if the soc-ctte use cases
> we came up with are worthy.

You need to understand that this is the nature of public discussion - people
will sometimes say something you don't like, and it might seem to you that
'they' have an agenda, or that they are undermining one's effort, or things
like that.

One of the things that we might as well need to make a tenet is - assume
good faith. My experience suggests overwhelmingly that this is the way to go.

As far as the concrete issue, rest assured that I'll combine all the good
stuff from the thread and compose the exact proposal, with variations if
necessary, which you will be able to comment on, and if all goes well,
second and we'll have an general resolution vote to see if it's any good.
I don't intend to let this die as a proposal, because all comments so far
are generally positive enough to give it a go at the ballot box.

> Closing, before any soc-ctte that i hope can help us solve a set of
> our problems, we need changes the way tech-ctte actually works. I will
> elaborate more in the near future and avoid debate with those that
> came up here to say "nothing needs to be changed into Debian",
> "nothing needs to be changed into tech-ctte", "what's wrong (we're
> doing great in the tech and social sides, that's the dreamland!) ?".

If you'll be concentrating about the tech-ctte, please start a new thread :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.