Re: Social Committee proposal

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:14:57 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net>
> All that you say is true, but it is also true that *right now* we
> all abide by various social and cultural norms which are of various
> shapes and forms.

> The forming of a group which would discuss these subjective matters
> in an organized fashion wouldn't make them any more or less
> important, but it would give them a much more fair hearing (or at
> least more fair than a typical flamewar).

> As far as governing goes, I explicitly said in the proposal that the
> committee should not have many powers, and indeed that its initial
> instance should have an even more reduced set of powers from one
> that we could envision it to have, so that we don't rush anything.

        Well, Iam willing to give it a shot. But bear in mind
 everything you say could have been said about -legal before it was
 created; but -legal has little representation from the  vast majority
 of developers, and I am not sure the opinions that hold sway on
 -legal are really representative of the opinions held by the
 developer body at large.

        The soc ctte might also fall into such a state (or it might
 not, which is why I am willing to give it a shot).  but as a new
 american citizen living under the leadership of President Bush; let
 us say I am inherently skeptical of a new governing body created with
 a mandate as fuzzy as "determine acceptable social/cultural values,
 by majority rule if need be, and eventually enforce them".

        And that brings me full circle; leaning on the skeptical side
 of indifference to this proposal, but willing to cut the proponents
 some slack, and give them some rope.

The trouble with superheros is what to do between phone booths. Ken