Re: Please appoint one new person to the DSA Team

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 04:06:56PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:38:33PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Would you, as DPL, please try to address the original issue?
>
> Martin, Branden and myself have all been trying to address the original
> issue as DPL; messages like the one beginning this thread don't help,
> and setting up unofficial autobuilders when you can't work out how to
> get an official one accepted are seriously counterproductive.

There's not much to work out, really. The "procedure" is "set the host
up, send mail with SSH key, IP address, and similar information to the
right person, cross fingers, and hopefully it'll be accepted sometime,
otherwise don't expect a reply". While this works, I cannot say that
it's never been frustrating to me either, and at times I myself have
also been _very_ tempted to just bypass the official "procedure" and
install some hack so that the box would at least build packages.
Especially at times when we're backlogged---and, surprise, I don't often
set up a box when we're _not_ backlogged. Occasionally, this type of
frustration was also at the root of Ingo's "Serious problems with mr
Troup" mail[1].

There has been an offer for an arm buildd host that outspeeds all four
current arm buildd machines together since a few _months_. This has been
told to a number of people involved with the arm autobuilders, including
James; yet nothing has been done with them so far, and there are
outstanding problems with arm as a result.

I don't think such delays, with no explanation whatsoever, are
acceptable behaviour (they _would_ be acceptable behaviour if there was
an explanation; but so far I've seen none). I can honestly understand
that Aurelien gets frustrated when nothing happens.

> I would greatly appreciate it if people would help the process by
> supporting the efforts of the DSA team consistently rather than heaping
> praise on them when they fix compromises and scorn on them the rest of
> the time.

I would greatly appreciate it if people in the DSA team would understand
that communication is 75% of their job. I think they would buy
themselves a whole lot of goodwill if they would just let people know
why there are delays sometimes.

> It would also be helpful if there were people who are able to commit
> time to do significant but boring tasks to help DSA, expecting neither
> praise, acknowledgement or, most importantly, any additional
> rights/priveleges in return.

It would also be helpful if people would get the ability to do more
stuff themselves. I'm not saying you should give everyone root
everywhere, but, e.g., if most of the work I do for Debian involves m68k
buildd maintenance (check), it's strange that I don't get to have access
to P-a-s or wanna-build.debian.org[2].

> If that's you please mail me privately, probably at leader@d.o.

It might be me, but before I say so I'd appreciate a bit more details on
what, exactly, these 'significant but boring' tasks are.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/02/msg00008.html
[2] I've been literally told by Ryan that "that won't happen" (when I
    asked for the latter, not the former)

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22