Re: Open Letter to Anthony Towns about the d-i mediation ...

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 10:17:11AM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > On 10830 March 1977, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > > Well, the problem is more complicated than you think. There are many issues at
> > > hand here, the first being that i have a right to have svn access, because of
> >
> > And thats the point you get wrong. No, you dont "have a right to have
> > svn access". You have the right to fork d-i and run your own, but no
> > right to demand you get access to anything anywhere.
>
> Why don't have i a right to get access ? I am a DD as much as anyone, i do

Because your only rights you got with becoming a DD are

 - use @debian.org as mail address
 - be able to upload to the archive
 - use .debian.org hosts
 - take part in the voting process
 - having a DD account on Alioth

You don't have a right to get write access to any archive or any host.
This contains the d-i repository as well as the webwml repository for
the website or the debian-admin repository for .debian.org software.

If those, who manage these repositories, find you're contributing well
and are somebody they want to work with, they *may* grant you write access.
Being granted write access is a privilege and not a right.

> good work on the powerpc port, despite the constraint and pressure i am
> getting lately, on purely technical issues, i do work with the d-i team and
> frans just fine (if nothing else, it is frans who is bashful in his replies),

(I'm sorry, but it's not you who is repeating this over and over
again, right?  This way, you're not bashing Frans at all, right?)

> as you can look at the 20+ patches i sent through the BTS, and which where
> mostly applied by frans himself. Furthermore, there never was any single

Great!  Please continue with this.

> So, i am an active DD, who does good work, why should i not have right to
> access the infrastructure which allows me to do such work, especially as the
> d-i team failed to come up with a replacement for the work i am doing.

Because - unfortunately - those who maintain this repository don't want
to hand out write access to you.  Apparently, you haven't convinced
them to give you write access (again).  Whoever is granted write access
needs to earn it.

> But this all boils to the same old thing. You believe it is ok to use the svn
> access, that is the debian infrastructure, as a tool in social warfar ?

Hmm, with this sentence you are not accusing Franse of social warfare
against you using .debian.org resources, are you?

> Would you then, as ftp-master, never handle NEW from some guy you dislike or
> otherwise are in social conflict with ? If so, your ethics are very
> questionable indeed.

Playing the devils advocate now?

Regards,

	Joey

--
There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.