Re: Position Statement to the Dunc-Tanc "experiment"

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 02:44:20PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 08:37:43PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > Just let me pick the NEW queue: Has it been stated publicly that
> > ftpmaster is going to reduce work spent on NEW due to dunc tank? Have
> > ftpmaster considered to accept offers to take over some of the work
> > load they are not motivated to do any more because they're not being
> > paid?
>
> For the record, I haven't seen any such offers, and I've been looking
> for them since May or so. (Proviso: offers should be accompanied by
> some direct evidence that whoever's offering has the time and ability
> to actually do stuff)

I have proposed myself at some point this past year, to help the ftp-masters
in the task of handling NEW, especially for some packages which are highly
repetitive, like the kernels (for which i am as qualified as anyone else to
know what to do), and other such just-rename packages, as soname changing
library, which mostly only need to be in close contact with the RMs.

Sure, this is small work, but it has a huge impact on the perception of NEW,
and may free the more experienced ftp-masters to do the more demanding work,
but this was flatly rejected, and you perfectly know about it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther