Re: Improving the DAM-queue?

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 11:53:27AM +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:14:39AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Bastian Venthur <expires-2007@venthur.de> [2006.10.11.1002 +0200]:
> > > This is quite frustrating, since most of the applicants are surely
> > > doing already the normal work every Developer has to do, but are
> > > not able to upload or participate on current votes.

> > I agree that this might well be frustrating. However, I also oppose
> > to any measure to increase the new queue throughput until we figured
> > out how to also get *rid* of DDs. Our project is too large; we can't
> > just keep growing.

> I absolutly disagree. Every Debian contributor doing work we depend on
> for the continued activity of Debian should be a DD.

> We have nearly the same number of registered developers than at woody
> time however we have expanded operation by about 250%. We need more
> developers to better spread the load.

Rather than kicking out those developers who have added to the bloat of the
archive without taking responsibility for the long-term consequences of the
packages they've added? :)

You appear to believe that adding people to the project will improve the
ratio of developers to packages.  I do not; I expect it will cause the
number of packages to increase in proportion to the increase in developers,
because people choose to become developers to scratch *their own* itches
and those will frequently be different than the itches of those who came
before them and left behind orphaned packages.

I do think a more limber NM process would benefit us in general, but I don't
see any reason to believe that more DDs == better packages.