Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 12:00:12AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Le lundi 09 octobre 2006 18:54, Martin Schulze a écrit :
>
> > hard on getting Debian better be funded similarily?  I know that
> > several people have lost their motivation to work on Debian as before
> > (yes, others will hate me for writing this again) because of this.
> > Some developers ask themselves already why they should work on some
> > tasks, when others are to be paid for their Debian work, and they have
> > other obligations as well.
>
> You never loose your motivation because some developers get paid
> to work on Debian tasks, unless you're jealous.
>
> I personaly have no real idea whether Dunc Tank is a good thing or
> a bad one, but seeing that a group of people is trying to improve
> Debian in some respect increases my motivation.

Agreed.  Also, the fact that some people are apparently taking the tack
that improving Debian is only OK if it happens a certain way really
makes me doubt whether this is something of which I want to be a part.
Note, I am not going to withdraw my NM application or anything like
that, it just gives me pause.

> I see no evil in giving people financial compensations for working
> full time on some key Debian tasks. If such people give the project
> their best with faith and dedication and enjoy it, I am very very
> happy for both them and the project.

Same here.

--
Roberto C. Sanchez