Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 08:45:22PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sunday 08 October 2006 19:56, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > In my opinion, this is exactly the same as:
> >
> > > This means that someone with a lot of time will be able to decide which
> > > projects will be completed just by doing them. Other projects will not
> > > be completed because people will lack time and incentive even if these
> > > projects would improve Debian more.
> >
> > Which is already both a typical strength and weakness of many free
> > software projects: domination by people with time to have the last
> > patch.
>
> Daniel,
>
> Does your employer know that money - or lack of money - doesn't influence
> your decisions as to what you will work on or how hard you will work?

Thank you for adding an ad hominem element so quickly.  Please read
that again with an open mind; your interpretation has nothing at all
to do with what I said.

Free software projects are driven by the goals of the people who
contribute to them.  They can contribute their own time, or they can
contribute money to encourage someone else to contribute time, or they
can pay someone outright.  But in the end, the result is the same: the
project follows the contributions it gets.

In many cases I've observed this working very well.  Sometimes it is
frustrating for contributors with less available time.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery