Re: Rethinking stable updates policy

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 09:03:12PM +0900, Kenshi Muto wrote:
> At Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:52:29 +0200,
> Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 08:43:53AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > It would be good, though, especially in order to have some support for
> > > hardware that has entered the market after the last Debian release, if
> > > there would be an outside repository for updated kernel and installer
> > > packages.  However, nobody considered this important enough yet.
> > > (Hint! Hint!)
> >
> > Kenshi MUTO provides some at http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
>
> And when you see my SVN repository and sources,
> you'll find how hard to use newer Debian kernel on current
> Sarge installer, John.
>
> If new kernel has perfect compatibilities with older kernel
> (such as using devfs and mkinitrd), updates may be easier.
> Even if so, I think applying new kernel will make a lot of
> jobs for d-i team.

Again, maybe I'm missing something on mkinitrd, but I don't see that
as such an issue.  devfs, I can see that.

But I'm not trying to talk in this thread about how hard or easy it is
technically to build stuff for stable.  That level will change over
time.  (And if we really find it so much more difficult to build a
kernel for stable than other distros do, we need to examine that and
make needed improvements.  Maybe Joey Hess can comment on the
installer here.)

The question I'm trying to open up is first:

  Is it useful to update a kernel in stable?

And secondly:

  Is it possible to do it in a sane way, preserving stability?

And finally, if so, then we need to ask:

  How can we make it easy for everyone involved to do this?

-- John