Re: Non-DDs right to speak on mailing lists

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 10:38 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:39:43PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > He didn't use the leader@debian.org address.  It was clear to me that
> > he was speaking as a developer, not as the DPL.
>
> But he has repeatedly suggested when speaking as a developer that
> non-DDs are kind of a second-class speaker on Debian mailing lists. In
> my opinion, he is dead wrong on this track and I frown upon him making
> these suggestions.
>
> In my opinion, all people are equal in technical and political
> discussions. Non-DDs provide valueable input and I hate the idea of
> discouraging them from participating in Debian's discussion media.
> They can't vote, and that's OK in my opinion, so they are somewhat
> less heard in Debian anyway.
>
> Please, non-DDs, don't let yourself be discouraged and demotivated by
> the individual who happens to wear the DPL hat when he is not
> discouraging and demotivating.

I'm a non-DD.  Non-DD's do have the right to speak on mailing lists
marked with "not moderated; posting is allowed by anyone".  I accept the
fact that non-DD's have no decision rights in the Debian project, simply
because non-DD's are not part of the decision making structure.  I don't
feel discouraged nor demotivated from participating in Debian's
discussion media.  I'm convinced that good input from non-DD's is used
by DD's, and I'm flattered that I'm allowed to maintain a few packages.