Re: on firmware and freedoom

Le jeu 24 août 2006 10:51, Yavor Doganov a écrit :
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:01:51 -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > [...]  To do so would be to undermine our pledge to keep the Debian
> > system "100% Free", as our Social Contract puts it. [...]

your quote is unfair, it should have been:

> > The Debian Project, however, does not distribute such materials
> > in "main".  To do so would be to undermine our pledge to keep the
> > Debian system "100% Free", as our Social Contract puts it.

> Thank you very much for the entire message, I hope that it will be
> influential to the outcome of this discussion/vote.

> I dream about the moment when all people will feel it that way, and
> about the time when the Debian Project will purge the "non-free"
> section (containing non-free software) and the "contrib" section
> (containing free software that is in chains), thus remaining 100%
> committed to the Free Software ideals.

that's your opinion, but that's not what was said. What was said is that
main should remain free, and the author's opinion is that calling
things "blobs" does not makes them more free or less non-free and if
they don't deserve main, those should not get in there.

it's not about dropping support for contrib/non-free.

And I strongly disagree with you about the contrib/non-free sections
anyway (and most DD do, since support to the non-free section has been
voted recently). But that's another topic.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit